Thursday, March 6, 2008

Classification

A classification system well known to all is the Dewey Decimal System for sorting library books. This system divides subjects in to 4 main chapters. Each chapter has 10 main classes. Each class has 10 divisions. Each division has 10 sections. Hence, the use of the title "decimal." Here is the classification by subject:

000 – Computer science, information, and general works
100 – Philosophy and psychology
200 – Religion
300 – Social sciences
400 – Languages
500 – Science
600 – Technology applied science
700 – Arts and recreation
800 – Literature
900 – History and geography

This system has been around for so long that I rarely think about it. Two years ago, I applied for, interviewed for, and was chosen for a job at my local library system as a part-time assistant librarian. In the end I turned down the job partly for reasons of my inability to coordinate my new work schedule with the school bus schedules for two children and preschool schedule for one child and partly because I could not see myself shelfing books all day. I also looked in to getting a master's degree in library science. Now that I am in this program I am glad I did not accept that job.

No comments: